I have never liked my handwriting. There I said it. It's true though. It isn't something that I've ever loved, I have always thought it was sloppy compared to my friends. However, this all changed a few years ago when I started school to study Graphic Design. I swore up and down I couldn't draw and my handwriting was awful. But then one day I realized, it's not. It is who I am. It is me.
You don't have to go to school to be a Graphic Designer to figure that out. You just have to start thinking differently. Your handwriting is an extension and personality of who you are. Yes, you may not think it looks pretty all or most the time, but that doesn't mean you can't make it prettier (in your own eyes).
How can I fix it?
1. Practice makes perfect. You should all know this phrase. It's true though. The more you practice your handwriting, the better you will feel about it. Personally, I write phrases, words or quotes in a sketch book. Whatever usually comes to mind. Things like: love, hello, doodle, dog, bug, home, winter wishes, eat, icecream, sweets... Well you get the picture, what pops in my head goes on paper. Oh, and don't scratch out or erase the screw ups, let them be. This is just practicing.
2. Use different mediums. What is your favorite thing to write with? Pen, marker, pencil, crayon? Work with different types of writing utensils. Find a way you like to grip it.
3. Take your time. This is not a race. When I start off practicing my writing I write slow. That is okay. You try to figure out what you like and how you like it, so take your time.
4. Find what works. Work in different ways to write a letter and find what you like best. There are many different ways to write a letter. When you find a way you like, practice that individually and as well in words.
5. Don't stop. That's right, don't stop practicing. Like I said in no. 1 -- Practice Makes Perfect. Well you may never be perfect but you will find you enjoy your handwriting much more. So keep practicing. Doodle words and letters. Carry a sketch book around with you (I often keep a small one in my purse). Whatever you do, just keep practicing.
So this week I challenge you to start practicing your handwriting and use it on a layout or your yearly document album! You will be amazed that once you embrace it, your thoughts of negativity about your hand writing will go away.
In case you missed it yesterday, we released the images of our ENTIRE April 2014 kit -- Debutante! We are so excited to premiere this kit and to send it to our subscribers! Click on over to our Monthly Kits page for more details and subscribe today! There are only a limited number of subscriptions left, so don't miss out!
We are also offering FREE shipping for any ADD on orders from our store and ship those products with your kit subscription. Note, you will be billed for shipping, we will reimburse you. Just send us an email and let us know you want your recent order to be shipped with your kit, so we can reimburse you. Let us know if you have any questions.